Saturday, November 3, 2007

Half way through


Jaywalker number one is finished! All and all I think I'm happy with this pattern and am amused at my major modification to it.

This is what my darling little heel looks like. See that little point, that's the center of the heel (that actually lines up directly with one of the lines going down the back)

The entire time I was knitting after I had completed the heel I was thinking about just how elf like this sock looked like. That being said, its totally functional and fits really well (actually its a bit tight, but thats on purpose because I never take in account that socks ease and then end up with socks that are slightly too large). I also had enough yarn that I didn't have to substitute anything for the toe which was a relief.
My original goal with these was to get the pair of them finished before Monday when I should be getting my three skeins of Tausendschön (for everyone who doesn't speak German, click on "online-shop" and she has the majority of it translated into English). Thats not going to happen. Also, I need to ask for a pair of sock blockers for Christmas because taking pictures of completed socks - not fun.

Per request I'm going to talk about food, because well I love food and Neuroknitter asked me to. I suppose a little back ground is needed - when I was little among the things I wanted to be when I grew up was a chef because I loved (and still love) cooking. I later, after giving up that dream, realized just how much pressure professional chefs are put under and am glad that I didn't choose to go to culinary school. I also grew up cooking a lot of stuff by myself (I learned at a very young age not to touch hot burners) so in middle school my after school routine consisted of, walk/take the bus home, make some sort of snack (normally an omelette or just warmed up left overs) then watch Great Chefs of the World, Epicurious (which they still show early in the morning on HGTV I think), and lastly The Christopher Lowell Show (funny because I hate watching anything related to interior design now, unless it involves kitchens).
All of this is to say - I love cooking, talking about cooking, reading about cooking, etc - Oh and eating. Sadly here in Vienna I haven't actually been doing much cooking. I live in a dorm, and though there are kitchens on each floor (that are amazingly clean), we have tiny little locked cubbies in the refrigerator and slightly bigger locked cabinets. I also just don't have the time or energy to cook as much as I do at home or at Sarah Lawrence (not that I had time to cook at Sarah Lawrence either...). So here my diet has consisted of a lot of apples, a lot of pasta (with a wide variety of sauces though none home made - I also don't have a whole lot of cookware here), chicken, and a lot of kabab sandwiches. Its pathetic, I do treat myself to lunch at Cafe Wolfbauer at least once a week though and stop in nearly every morning for a pastry. They also have really good soup - next time I'm there I'll try to remember to take a picture.

[I just cut out a very long rant about grocery shopping. Comment if you want me to post it because I do have it saved to my hard drive - It kind of reminds me of the rants David Sedaris writes about France but is probably not written nearly as well]

2 comments:

Neuroknitter said...

Three days down...a bunch to go! So, what kinds of apples do they have in Vienna? I like the Jaywalkers!

Anonymous said...

aha!!! cooking!! you never told! what shell I say! me to. in fact I did school for that.
just in case, you want some hungarian "rezept".
;-)
see ya,
rita