Sunday, November 4, 2007

Many things

So I'm sick. Too sick to knit (I successfully cast on and knit the first two rounds for the second Jaywaker over the course of five hours - half an hour ago i attempted to knit the third round and had to stop after less than 42 sts as my hands got too tired).

But because I hate posting on a primarily knitting blog without pictures here's what's helping to keep me warm in bed.

Look familiar :)

And because I like playing with the macro setting and showing of my seams...

So originally I was going to go my Sunday knitting group thats about a 10 minute walk away from me in an attempt to get myself out of the house (because thats something I need to work on) but I then made the executive decision that rest is better than getting out of the house.

So we're going to play the "100 things about me" game.
1. I'm an only child.
2. Before this August I had only been out of the United States once and it was to for a band trip to Canada in middle school.
3. When I was little (say under the age of 10) my favorite food was mussels.
4. When I was 12 and 13 I would saute scallops for myself for lunch on weekends - I eventually got tired of them.
5. I have a horrible fear of flying but fly all the time.
6. I've been playing flute for 10 years.
7. Other than flute my favorite instruments are [french] horn and cello.
8. I'm from Lake Oswego but generally claim that I'm from Portland because I live grew up two blocks outside of the boundary and inside of Multnomah County.
9. I also went to Portland Public Schools - my mom would have had to pay to send me to Lake Oswego Public Schools.
10. I want to start dying yarn and roving.
11. When it comes to knitting, I think I can do anything.
12. I love knitting with wooden DPNs (namely the ebony Sox Sticks) but I have a tendency to break them by sitting on them.
13. When I was 10 I wanted to be a pediatric cardiologist when I grew up.
14. I clearly was (and still am) interested in medicine.
15. I also used to want to be a computer programmer.
16. I taught myself HTML when I was 10.
17. I gave up the programming dream when I realized how much math would be involved.
18. My grandmother taught me how to knit in order to keep me amused when I was staying at her house once.
19. I learned how to use a sewing machine for the same reason.
20. People who go to school with me think I'm very domestic but they don't realize that I hate cleaning.
21. As much as I hate cleaning, if I'm expecting a visitor I will make my room immaculate.
22. I love dogs.
23. I used to rock climb competitively.
24. When I was little I really liked doing yoga.
25. When it comes to cooking, I also think I can do anything.
26. This has proven to be true.
27. In the summer I am known for making gelato every other week.
28. If I'm in my room alone I have to listen to podcasts or else I will get anxious.
29. I'm slightly bitter that I have to eat breakfast in order to take my newest medication.
30. I normally don't like eating breakfast.
31. And I hate milk.
32. Of the around 7 or 8 therapists I've had only two have been good.
33. It took way too much energy to figure out how many therapists I've seen.
34. I've started to treat first flute lessons like first therapy sessions - If I don't like the teacher the first lesson I don't want to take from them.
35. That didn't work with my current flute teacher who I now like.
36. I have to fall asleep facing the wall.
37. When I'm in hotels I get confused as to which way to face when trying to fall asleep.
38. Most of my friends are older than me.
39. I like it that way but its going to suck when I'm a senior at Sarah Lawrence next year.
40. I turned in my application to SLC a day late and thought I wouldn't get in.
41. I also had a horrible interview at SLC but a great one at Eugene Lang.
42. Eugene Lang gave me so little financial aid that it was cheaper to go to Sarah Lawrence.
43. I am determined to not live in New York after I graduate.
44. I kind of want to make flutes for a living but would have to do an apprenticeship in the Boston area.
45. I don't want to live in or around Boston.
46. I also don't want to live anywhere on the East Coast.
47. I think I might want to move to Vancouver BC but haven't spent nearly enough time there.
48. I am very affectionate with my friends if they'll let me.
49. Cuddling makes me feel safe.
50. Turning the heel is my favorite part of knitting socks.
51. I think Cat Bordhi is a genius.
52. My current flute teacher told me I had the perfect body for flute playing.
53. I tend to think that I was made to knit.
54. My mom thinks I was meant to swim.
55. I am built like a swimmer (well when I have more muscle on me) and swam constantly up until the age of 10 or 11.
56. I don't have a fear of heights.
57. I have a fear of falling.
58. This is why I dropped out of the one diving class I took.
59. Even though I'm afraid of falling, I love the feeling you get after you take a lead fall (its a climbing thing).
60. I don't like the look of most crocheted things.
61. I do however love crocheted wire.
62. I want to learn how to blow glass.
63. I am a very tactical person.
64. Knitting does not relax me.
65. I got pressured into starting this blog by Neuroknitter.
66. I really want a spinning wheel and can't wait until I get one (so soon).
67. I don't like cheese.
68. Thats not totally true - I like most hard cheeses and Cojita cheese (but not goat cheese which it is often compared to).
69. I don't like any of the beer I've tried but I am determined to find one that I like.
70. I only drink things I like.
71. I don't drink to get drunk and have never been drunk.
72. I only remember getting the flu 3 times in my life.
73. I still have a bunch of scars from when I got the chicken pox when I was 2.
74. I don't like most dairy products.
75. I have a very mild wheat intolerance - this has seemed to almost go away since I've been in Austria.
76. Living in Vienna has given me a new appreciation for soup.
77. I grew up eating organic food 85-90% of the time.
78. When I first got to NY I got very sick because of this.
79. I used think I hated salmon.
80. This all changed when I decided to try to cook it.
81. The same thing happened with pork.
82. Socializing with more than one person scares me.
83. The exception to this rule is when all/most of the people involved are knitting.
84. I don't know how to drive a car.
85. This is apparently going to be rectified this summer.
86. I need to read more German.
87. I want to learn French, Norwegian, and Japanese.
88. I want to keep learning Spanish.
89. When I was in elementary school I was obsessed with American Sign Language.
90. I am still slightly resentful that my mom didn't let me learn piano when I was little.
91. Yes - I wanted to learn piano when I was 6.
92. I don't know what I want to do after undergrad.
93. This scares the living daylights out of me.
94. If I had my way I would work at a knitting store.
95. Hanging out at Twisted this past summer might have been then best think I did for myself.
96. I am a sock yarn snob.
97. This maybe because the third pair of socks I ever knit were out of hand dyed yarn.
98. I don't subscribe to the school of thought that thinks that you hold yarn in two hands to knit fair-isle style.
99. I swore off fast food when I was 12 (with the exceptions being when there was no other option - at a band festival when I had taco bell and after a climbing comp. in Seattle when I had KFC)
100. I don't like watching movies very much but I do love documentaries.

Oh and Gail - you will get a good food post later this week when I am feeling less sick :)

5 comments:

Neuroknitter said...

I'm sorry you're not feeling well Knitguy! Fooey on that! Loved reading the 100 things about you! I hope wrapping up in Lizard Ridge makes you feel better...don't they have chicken soup in Wien??

Anonymous said...

wow, 100 things about you.

Adam said...

Neuroknitter - they have chicken soup but I have to be well enough to go and get it, and its Sunday and nothing is open :( Tomorrow I have to drag myself out of bed in hopes of getting packages of fibery goodness from the post office and I'll get myself some soup then.

Anonymous said...

adam!!! hello - i miss you so much! i have finally caught up on reading your blog - love the 100 things, love the lizard ridge, love your jaywalkers. i was hooked on them like crazy a few years ago - made 4 or so pairs, and did a short-row heel each time, adding stitches to the bottom (did them toe-up, too), and working the heel over more stitches, to give a deeper heel. yeehawwww!

sorry you are sick. no fun at all. porltand misses you, i miss you, emily misses you, twisted misses you, and the red ginger limeade misses you like crazy. can't wait to see you again...

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.