Monday, November 5, 2007

I've got a golden ticket!

So I'm still sick - I have a feeling it might be the flu because feel really achy and weak. Luckily I didn't have two of my three classes today though I somehow made it through the one class I did have (theory) which I only went to because I was expecting packages (they get delivered to my school)....

Pretty things from Germany!

From front to back the colorways are Der Speck, Indische Gewürze, and Seestern. Its actually really fun getting packages [of yarn] because I pick them up in the reception of my school and a. everyone who works in the reception knows I knit ("yep - it feels like yarn") and b. one of the people who works in the reception also knits so she gets to ooh and ahh at it with me.

I also got another package that I had to pick up from the post office of 8 cakes of Cascade 220 that my mom bought me for my soon to be knit Avast (she bought it from Knit/Purl and they shipped it). The problem is, she bought the wrong color - despite the fact that I had her write the colorway on a piece of paper (both the name and the number of it). Its ok I guess. Its a dark navy blue (the midnight colorway) which I think I can pull off, I just never actually wear blue - Ok thats not true, but I almost never do. She also sent me a pack of cable needles (I needed a small one and I left my old one in a bead store in Seattle - they had a couch that I sat and knitted on while my mom shopped for beads) and a 14 oz (425 mL) bottle of Soak (wool wash) in the citrus scent which I've been wanting to try out. Note that I am very grateful that she sent me all of this yarn, I'm just in a bad mood which is amplified because I'm sick.

And finally, on a non-fiber and non-sick note, I leave you with one of my favorite quotes from Howard Zinn which one of my friends commented about because she saw it on my Facebook profile. Its from his essay The Optimism of Uncertainty:
"To be hopeful in bad times is not just foolishly romantic. It is based on the fact that human history is a history not only of cruelty but also of compassion, sacrifice, courage, kindness. What we choose to emphasize in this complex history will determine our lives. If we see only the worst, it destroys our capacity to do something. If we remember those times and places--and there are so many--where people have behaved magnificently, this gives us the energy to act, and at least the possibility of sending this spinning top of a world in a different direction. And if we do act, in however small a way, we don't have to wait for some grand utopian future. The future is an infinite succession of presents, and to live now as we think human beings should live, in defiance of all that is bad around us, is itself a marvelous victory."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hmm , optimism!, well the quotes are great, thanks.
and: GUTE BESSERUNG!!!