Wednesday, November 7, 2007

I can knit again!

I can knit again! I'm definitely not up to full speed but my hands don't hurt any more. As proof, this is what I did today.

All of that with the exception of the first three rows was knit today.

I'm also getting amazingly tired of the Regia that I'm using for these socks. Maybe its the whole no discernible color pattern thing, but it makes it more monotonous. Note that I also won't let myself start any new socks until I finish this one as a way of trying to cure myself of Second Sock Syndrome - if that is even possible. It was a great motivator when I was finishing my monkeys but apparently not so much with this one. I will finish it before I even begin to wind any of the new sock yarn into balls though!

I also did get out of the house today which is good. I didn't go to class or knitting as I wanted to get better (I am going to class tomorrow though) but I did have to go in to get my lesson reimbursement. IES (my school) makes all of the music students pay for their lessons up front and then they give us up to 400 euro in reimbursement per semester (which may just barely cover mine - barely). Each month there is a day that we all have to show up with our sheets that say how many lessons we have and thus how much money IES owes us - today was that day - so that was a rather strong motivator to get out of the house.

I also decided that since I was out, and there are two yarn shops with in 10 minutes of my school, I would go out in search of the five million (four) needles for Avast. Apparently the designer of Avast wants the knitter to have 1 US 7 circ 29" or longer, 1 US 5 circ 29" or longer, and two other circs both US 7 or smaller one of which needs to be at least 29". So on my little quest I stopped by the LYS closest to my school (two blocks away) and got one of the needles. They didn't have the others I needed so I decided that it would be better to go to what is now, my regular LYS in Vienna, Zwei Glatt Zwei Verkehrt. They had what I needed and they had this:

Stash? What stash?

Its 100% Shetland wool that looks like it may be hand dyed for/by the owner of the store. Both are 100g skeins and are about 450 meters. I think I may knit mittens out of them but we'll see. I'm also going to try to swatch for Avast tonight but again, we'll see.

3 comments:

Neuroknitter said...

That Shetland wool is a beautiful color!!! I'm sorry you didn't like A&E/BBC Pride and Prejudice...You seemed to have possibly slept through the best part!!! Aaargh!!! Perhaps you'll try to watch it again sometime! Glad to hear you're on the mend and venturing out!

Adam said...

neuroknitter - I think the real problem is that I can't easily make it through movies that long. I'm, sadly, not a big movie person. I do love documentryes though (but even then, I really don't watch many of them).

Nikkiana said...

I dunno if it's the yarn or the pattern, I'm knitting the second on a Jaywalker and I'm so incredibly bored.. I think it has to do with a lack of milestones. With Monkey, there's a set number of repeats. Once you're through a repeat you realize, "Oh! There's only X more left!" with Jaywalker, that's not so... It's just two rows over and over... Not really discernable chunks of the sock.